Re: Any hope of KDE 3.5 in F10?

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 22:17 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
> I find Dolphin to be actually much better for file management
> than any Konqueror version I have ever tried.

Having played with Nautilus, Konqueror, and scoured through a few
reviews with webshots of Dolphin, I don't think any of them are really
"file managers," merely file browsers.

There's a significant distinction between something that lets you look
at content on the drive (browsers), and something that gives you good
tools for controlled & semi-automated manipulation of drive content
(managers).

e.g. You want to compare your hard drive with your backup, your two-pane
file manager should have a feature that takes two directories, checks
their both the same, and makes it easy for you to work on the
differences.

e.g. You move a bunch of files from one spot to another, and suddenly
the whole thing (or partially) aborts because there's duplicates.
There's no easy way to handle what to do with the duplicates (compare
that they're really identical duplicates, replace, skip, rename, rename
with YOUR choice of pattern, etc.), without aborting.

e.g. Batch renaming stupid filenames in a lister (e.g. lower-case
everything with good handling of what to do when the renaming is about
to rename one file to the same name as another file, likewise for
removing or replacing spaces, or converting mixes of dashes and
underlines to just one form of punctuation, etc.).

All of that sort of thing, and more, without having to do mental
gymnastics to work out regex expressions in your head.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.