Re: f9 NetworkManager doesn't honor DHCP hostname and domain

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Skunk Worx wrote:

The point of DHCP is so I do not have to set the computer name anywhere
on the local drive. It should become what DHCP tells it to be.

Well, I don't think that is the _point_ of DHCP;
a minor bye-product, maybe.

It's definitely not minor when 25 or so machines boot from a kickstart install and they are all improperly named localhost.localdomain

But I don't understand why you don't give your machine
the name you want it to have.

But I am giving it the name I want it to have...via the magic of DHCP.

I would have thought a computer was an obvious place to store its name.

It is...if it's the DHCP server :-) Just kidding.

For a home or small business install of a few machines there is no problem clicking through the installs and setting the static host.domain.

In a production/installation environment it's tiresome and wrong.

In a dynamic runtime environment it's wrong, where wrong means unacceptable.

Incidentally, what is the entry in your dhcp server's /etc/dhcpd.conf
relevant to the machine that doesn't get a name?

It's the same DHCP server config whether I use "network" or "NetworkManager", and the entries are quite similar to :

host grumpy {
   hardware ethernet 00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx;
   fixed-address 10.0.0.x;
   option host-name "grumpy";
}

...which works as expected on all machines except F9, and is fixed when I switch F9 to use the 'network' service.

---
John