Re: Sharing CD-ROM over Samba on Fedora 8 *solved*

max wrote:
Rick Stevens wrote:
max wrote:
Daniel Tweedy wrote:
I put this line in my /etc/fstab file

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

The cdrom doesn't mount on bootup which I believe to be correct due to the noauto part.

I played around with the samba config and found that the paths I was using for mount and unmount were incorrect, corrected the paths and now it mounts and unmounts fine.

Cool. Just one question though, I am not trying to be confrontational or anything, this solution automatically mounts and shares whatever is in the cd drive? I can easily imagine putting a cd, say with backups or other personal info, into the drive that I may not really want to share.

Then disable the automount options for the CD drive(s).  In Gnome:

    System->Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media

Uncheck "Mount removable media when inserted".  Note that from now on,
you'll have to manually mount the media, and there will NOT be a /media
entry for the drive to mount to.  To solve:

1. Create something like "mkdir /mnt/cdrom" and export that via Samba.
2. When you have a CD you want to share, "mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom".

 that's what I was looking for....thanks !

Hi Max

You can also do everything I said but leave out the step where you change the /etc/fstab file

i.e. do not put this line in it.

/dev/sr0 /media/cdrom auto pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

If you do not put that line in the file it wont auto mount on insertion.

then you can do the mount command when you want to mount something, as for me its only me who uses the computers on the network so thats not that big of an issue, and if it became one you can set up valid users and still leave it auto mounting if you wished.

i.e. only certain windows logins can access the cdrom on the fedora machine.