Re: Special Character Problem

> > Windows and even Mac clients that connect to that server seem to have no
> > problem, it's just that I can't seem to get another Linux box to do the
> > same.

FTP control stream is net-ascii. What you are doing is actually a protocol
violation if you are using the simple "tell everyone (including sniffers)
the password" ftp authentication.

> > The character keystroke under Windows is ALT-248. Now, I've used the
> > Character Map in F9 to identify the character (by using the find

The character is irrelevant you need to know what byte sequence is sent
by it and whether it is getting masked or not in the other clients, as
you are totally out of spec.

> > feature) simply as the degree symbol, though it appears slightly
> > different under Windows, which is apparently U+00B0. The catch is even
> > when I copy the password from a known good source (an Excel file opened
> > in OpenOffice), connection attempts to the server fail.

No suprise - that is dealing with the symbol not the bytes. and 0x00B0 is
176 - which isn't a valid character in UTF-8 at all.

Alan