Special Character Problem

Hi folks,
I have a rather annoying problem. My company uses a special character as a part of a password for an ftp account a Linux server, and I cannot seem to get Fedora 9 to connect to the server as a result. All the Windows and even Mac clients that connect to that server seem to have no problem, it's just that I can't seem to get another Linux box to do the same.

The character keystroke under Windows is ALT-248. Now, I've used the Character Map in F9 to identify the character (by using the find feature) simply as the degree symbol, though it appears slightly different under Windows, which is apparently U+00B0. The catch is even when I copy the password from a known good source (an Excel file opened in OpenOffice), connection attempts to the server fail.

Although I have the power to do so, I'm very reluctant to change the password because of my co-workers; while they're willing to change things, they'd have to update a fair number of ftp programs, and frankly aside from my difficulties with it under Linux, it seems to be a pretty good password. Obviously, it should be possible to enter this password under Linux since it was set on a Linux box, but I seem to be out of ideas of how to do it.

Anyone have any good ideas?

Thanks,
Raymond