Re: configure spamassassin to only check incoming email

Steven Stern wrote:
On 05/31/2008 08:12 AM, Gijs wrote:
| Mike Burger wrote:
|>> Hey list,
|>>
|>> I'm using sendmail to handle all my incoming and outgoing email and now
|>> I've ran into a problem related to spamassassin.
|>> Because spamassassin also checks outgoing mail, sending outgoing mails
|>> always takes about 3-4 seconds.
|>> Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but my boss wants to send a
|>> newsletter every month to quite a number of users, and this is undoable
|>> if it takes 3-4 seconds per email.
|>>
|>> I've tested it without spamassassin and it only took like 0.3-0.5
|>> seconds, which is doable.
|>>
|>> Another solution to my problem is ok as well, as long as the send-time
|>> gets decreased to around <0.5 seconds.
|>>

|> It all revolves around how you've implemented SA.  While it is
possible to
|> use it in a milter style fashion, the more common way is to run
spamd, and
|> call spamc from procmail, at delivery time.
|>
|> Noting that if your local PCs have been compromised, and are now part
of a
|> botnet, they're not going to send their spam out through your mail
server,
|> anyhow, it might be simpler to run via procmail at delivery, and bypass
|> scanning outbound mail.
|>

| I know my way around in Linux but how mail is dealt with internally, I
| have no clue whatsoever.
| I've added the following line to the configuration of sendmail, so that
| it works with spamassassin:
| INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock,
| F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')
|
| Apart from that, spamass-milter is running with the following command:
| spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -b spam@xxxxxxxx
|
| And spamd is ran like this:
| /usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -s local6 -u spam
|
| Maybe an easier way is to change the sendmail command PHP uses, since
| the script that sends out all the emails makes use of PHP.
| It would be enough for me to change the PHP standard sendmail command to
| bypass spamassassin.
| Hope this sheds some more light on my situation.

You need to tell spamass-milter to ignore locally generated mail:

spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -b spam@xxxxxxxx -i 127.0.0.1

You may wish to add other network addresses as a list following "-i", e.g.,
~    -i 127.0.0.1,10.0.0.0/8

Well, this seems to have done the trick. Thanks a lot!
I've already tried to ignore 127.0.0.1 inside the configuration of spamassassin. But when I tried that, spamassassin analyses the mail to see if it matches 127.0.0.1 and already takes up a lot of time. The solution you provided brought the delay down to a little less than a second, which should be doable.

Thanks again :)