Re: configure spamassassin to only check incoming email

Mike Burger wrote:
Hey list,

I'm using sendmail to handle all my incoming and outgoing email and now
I've ran into a problem related to spamassassin.
Because spamassassin also checks outgoing mail, sending outgoing mails
always takes about 3-4 seconds.
Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but my boss wants to send a
newsletter every month to quite a number of users, and this is undoable
if it takes 3-4 seconds per email.

I've tested it without spamassassin and it only took like 0.3-0.5
seconds, which is doable.

Another solution to my problem is ok as well, as long as the send-time
gets decreased to around <0.5 seconds.

It all revolves around how you've implemented SA.  While it is possible to
use it in a milter style fashion, the more common way is to run spamd, and
call spamc from procmail, at delivery time.

Noting that if your local PCs have been compromised, and are now part of a
botnet, they're not going to send their spam out through your mail server,
anyhow, it might be simpler to run via procmail at delivery, and bypass
scanning outbound mail.

I know my way around in Linux but how mail is dealt with internally, I have no clue whatsoever.
I've added the following line to the configuration of sendmail, so that it works with spamassassin:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=local:/var/run/spamass.sock, F=,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

Apart from that, spamass-milter is running with the following command:
spamass-milter -p /var/run/spamass.sock -f -b spam@xxxxxxxx

And spamd is ran like this:
/usr/bin/spamd -d -c -a -s local6 -u spam

Maybe an easier way is to change the sendmail command PHP uses, since the script that sends out all the emails makes use of PHP.
It would be enough for me to change the PHP standard sendmail command to bypass spamassassin.
Hope this sheds some more light on my situation.