Re: Mono sound only, PulseAudio and Fedora 9... or "where's system-config-sound?"

Yes, PulseAudio server was not running. And when I tried to start it it
told me following:

ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:996:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
E: alsa-util.c: Error opening PCM device plug:dmix:0: Tiedostoa tai
hakemistoa ei ole
E: module.c: Failed to load  module "module-alsa-sink" (argument:
"device=plug:dmix:0"): initialization failed.
E: main.c: Module load failed.
E: main.c: Failed to initialize daemon.

So I guess something went off yesterday when I played with settings to
get sound for games like etqw too... I did what I did in Fedora 8 to get
sound for it and it worked perfectly yesterday althought it was just
mono sound.

What I did was adding:
load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:dmix:0
load-module module-alsa-sink device=plug:dmix:1

into /etc/pulse/default.pa to get way to tell etqw that alsa device is
in dmix:1

This worked fine in Fedora 8 without problems.

I reverted that and I got pulseaudio server running (but only after
putting SELinux to Permissive mode. As a funny side note: With that my
smaller KDM login problem disappeared too.)

[antti@Genesis ~]$ ps aux |grep pul
antti     2651  0.2  0.1  66348  4464 ?        Ssl  14:59
0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio -D
antti     2659  0.0  0.0   5676  2056 ?        S    14:59
0:00 /usr/libexec/pulse/gconf-helper
antti     3015  0.0  0.0   5044   704 pts/2    S+   15:05   0:00 grep
pul

But now the etqw doesn't work unless I disable audio. :|

Mono audio comes out from some programs but I want stereo sound from
every single program. For example I cannot get sound from Amarok using
PulseAudio playback device, but with Alsa as playback device I get mono
output. It doesn't matter what channel configuration I am using. I can
put 5.1 and it still outputs only mono 1.0.

There is something wrong with pulseaudio. Phonon shows now "PulseAudio
Sound Server" on devices list (after installing most of the pulseaudio
and alsa plugins) but there is also device called "PulseAudio"...

My smolt profile:
http://www.smolts.org/client/show/?uuid=pub_81599b19-9d3b-447b-b19a-1a7afb3c55e0

Thanks for help. I hope we can get this solved.

By the way, should I file this up as a bug in Bugizilla? They suggest it
in release notes here:
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f9/en_US/sn-PackageNotes.html#sn-sound-card-utility-changes

"Any sound card not working out of the box should be reported as a bug."

I guess this is the order of things right now:

[antti@Genesis ~]$ cat /proc/asound/cards
 0 [Camera         ]: USB-Audio - USB Camera
                      OmniVision Technologies, Inc. USB Camera at
usb-0000:00:10.3-1, full speed
 1 [Juli           ]: ICE1724 - ESI Juli@
                      ESI Juli@ at 0xb400, irq 17
 2 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
                      VIA 8237 with ALC850 at 0x1000, irq 22

Somebody please explain what does my mic+webcam has to do on this since
there ain't even a driver for it? It's never ever worked in linux or
shown up in any pcm lists.

I need help making that ESI Juli@ 'card0' and default it as PCM device.
If that doesn't solve it then I don't know what to do.

--
Antti Aspinen <antti.aspinen@xxxxxxxx>