Re: Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

dcw wrote:
On Saturday 24 May 2008 4:41 pm, stan wrote:
dcw wrote:
I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I
re-post on this list.

Current setup:
Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am
using ac97
Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
OS: Fedora 8 with all updates

Tested for sound with the following:
1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
You could try running with the -v option, verbose.
[root@star9 ~]#aplay -v /mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav
Playing WAVE '/mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 5512 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=U8)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 5512
  exact rate   : 5512 (5512/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 1881
  period_size  : 117
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 117
  xfer_align   : 117
  start_threshold  : 1872
  stop_threshold   : 1881
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 123273216
Slave: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_LE)
  Transformation table:
    0 <- 0
    1 <- 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA ATI SB' device 1 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 1000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 1073741824
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 1073741824
  boundary     : 1073741824

Also run dmesg immediately after
the failure to see if it logged any messages.
No apparent messages from dmesg
3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.
This indicates a configuration issue.  There would be no sound if alsa
hadn't recognized your card.

4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.
OSS emulation, using alsa, another indication that sound is almost working.

In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing
problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and
test 3 and 4 still work.

I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the
remove process deleted.

Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems,
so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would
be revelant.

Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.

Thanks,

David
Can you run the shell script at
http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
and post the link to the output back to the list.  It will scan your
system for sound
related information and post a summary to a web site.  It will give you
a link to the
information on that web site.
link: http://pastebin.ca/1028275

Thanks,
David

Everything looks good. Your sound should be working. I did notice that your default device is digital instead of analog/PCM. Digital playback is disabled in your alsactl file.

  1. defaults.pcm.card 0
  2. defaults.pcm.device 1         <----------------  analog would be 0
     here
  3. defaults.ctl.card 0
4. 5. 6. Aplay/Arecord output
  7. ------------
8. 9. APLAY 10. 11. **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
 12. card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: ALC883 Analog [ALC883 Analog]
     <------------- analog
 13.  Subdevices: 1/1
 14.  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
 15. card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 1: ALC883 Digital [ALC883
     Digital]  <-------------- digital
 16.  Subdevices: 1/1
 17.  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
18.
I'm not sure how it got set, but it would cause the symptoms you are seeing.
You can test by playing as follows
aplay -v -D plughw:0,0 some.wav

If the test succeeds, you need to change this to be analog permanently.
You do it by editing /etc/asound.conf and changing the device to be 0 instead of 1 as above.