Re: Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

On Saturday 24 May 2008 4:41 pm, stan wrote:
> dcw wrote:
> > I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I
> > re-post on this list.
> >
> > Current setup:
> > Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am
> > using ac97
> > Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
> > OS: Fedora 8 with all updates
> >
> > Tested for sound with the following:
> > 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
> > 2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
>
> You could try running with the -v option,
> verbose.
[root@star9 ~]#aplay -v /mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav
Playing WAVE '/mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav' :
Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 5512 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=U8)
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : RW_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 5512
  exact rate   : 5512 (5512/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 1881
  period_size  : 117
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 117
  xfer_align   : 117
  start_threshold  : 1872
  stop_threshold   : 1881
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 123273216
Slave: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_LE)
  Transformation table:
    0 <- 0
    1 <- 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : U8
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 1
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 8
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 0
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 16384
  stop_threshold   : 16384
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 0
  boundary     : 1073741824
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA ATI SB' device 1 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
  stream       : PLAYBACK
  access       : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
  format       : S16_LE
  subformat    : STD
  channels     : 2
  rate         : 48000
  exact rate   : 48000 (48000/1)
  msbits       : 16
  buffer_size  : 16384
  period_size  : 1024
  period_time  : 21333
  tick_time    : 1000
  tstamp_mode  : NONE
  period_step  : 1
  sleep_min    : 0
  avail_min    : 1024
  xfer_align   : 1024
  start_threshold  : 1
  stop_threshold   : 1073741824
  silence_threshold: 0
  silence_size : 1073741824
  boundary     : 1073741824

> Also run dmesg
> immediately after
> the failure to see if it logged any messages.
No apparent messages from dmesg

> > 3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.
>
> This indicates a configuration issue.  There would be no sound if alsa
> hadn't recognized your card.
>
> > 4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.
>
> OSS emulation, using alsa, another indication that sound is almost working.
>
> > In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing
> > problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and
> > test 3 and 4 still work.
> >
> > I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the
> > remove process deleted.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems,
> > so any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would
> > be revelant.
> >
> > Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
>
> Can you run the shell script at
> http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
> and post the link to the output back to the list.  It will scan your
> system for sound
> related information and post a summary to a web site.  It will give you
> a link to the
> information on that web site.
link: http://pastebin.ca/1028275

Thanks,