Re: Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

dcw wrote:
I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I re-post on this list.

Current setup:
Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am using ac97
Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
OS: Fedora 8 with all updates

Tested for sound with the following:
1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
You could try running with the -v option, verbose. Also run dmesg immediately after
the failure to see if it logged any messages.
3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.
This indicates a configuration issue. There would be no sound if alsa hadn't recognized your card.
4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.
OSS emulation, using alsa, another indication that sound is almost working.
In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and test 3 and 4 still work.

I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the remove process deleted.

Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would be revelant.

Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.

Thanks,

David

Can you run the shell script at http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh and post the link to the output back to the list. It will scan your system for sound related information and post a summary to a web site. It will give you a link to the
information on that web site.