Re: Best guide for Fedora 9 ever !

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Best_guide_for_Fedora_9_ever

> >> How to setup MP3 and Video codecs, ATI and Nvidia
> drivers,
> >> CompizFusion, etc... you need it they got it :)
> >>
> >> Probably most of your question about Fedora 9 are
> answered there and
> >> the solutions are simple.
> >
> > Whoever added the setuid cdrecord stuff for k3b,
> please delete that
> > or at least give the rationale for making the
> tools +s. k3b's warning
> > can't be the only reason.
> >
> Just a clarification, I cdrecord is not installed on
> FC9 at all, rather
> there is a program called "wodim" which is linked to
> cdrecord. Wodim is
> a modified version of an old version of cdrecord,
> not the current
> program from the original author.
>
> By any name the kernel filters commands send to the
> burner which
> prevents certain commands from being sent unless you
> are root,
> particularly commands specific to a particular
> vendor. The author of the
> original and still maintained cdrecord program asked
> that the command
> filtering be changed, but the kernel maintainers
> declined. The author of
> cdrecord was invited to learn to use capabilities
> rather than root, and
> *he* declined. As you might guess, there are
> personalities and politics
> involved, and the result is that cdrecord needs to
> run as setuid root.
>
> Since Fedora is usually pretty cutting edge, it
> would be nice if wodim
> were called that, and only that, and since a setuid
> program is being
> run, why not the real cdrecord? I suspect there are
> politics involved
> there as well. It's disappointing that Fedora didn't
> change to using
> capabilities, although that may be harder than it
> seems.
>
> In any case, there's the overview and the technical
> issue, you need
> privileged commands to burn on some hardware, and
> there are some monster
> egos in play. Perhaps someone will comment on why
> not real cdrecord and
> capabilities.
>
> --
> Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
>    "We have more to fear from the bungling of the
> incompetent than from
> the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot
>
> --

Bill,

The solution is at hand.  Download the original

ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/cdrtools-beta.tar.gz

install it from source.  You may decide to keep both
and use which one works best for you.  If you install
it, k3b recognizes this and automatically configures
it for you.  Do not worry about the CDDL license, it
is an open source license :).  The problem with it is
politics and GPL :(.  You can freely use the program
if you need to. NO salesman should come knocking in
your door.

Regards,

Antonio