Re: build initrd for qla2xxx firmware

Mark Haney wrote:
Okay, I'm still unable to build a correct initrd to include the QLogic 2300 FC card I have in a couple of machines. I've tried several methods (from scripts to cracking open the existing initrd) and nothing seems to work. The firmware IS on the system (via an RPM) and the qla2xxx module gets loaded, but I cannot get it to load on boot. initrd complains about the firmware not being available.

Which suggests that the firmware isn't being included in the initrd. There's code in the kernel module to upload the firmware. Unfortunately there's no nice way to determine what modules need what firmware so mkinitrd can't copy over the firmware. Have you tried "repacking" the initrd to include /lib/firmware/* as necessary?

Modules in the initrd get loaded before you have any "real" file systems.

Jeff Voskamp