Updating the background image

There's a webcam image that I want to use as background wallpaper, and have that image automatically update at a given interval. I was able to do this with a script, up through Fedora 6. The script stopped working from 7 and up, and I abandoned the project.

As I move to 9, I would like to get that little toy back. Downloading the image is the easy part (the script still does that flawlessly), but the problem comes in getting the GNOME desktop to see the changed file and apply the change.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,
Jasono