Re: FC9 - S-L-O-W video

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Tim wrote:
On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 17:28 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Thousands of lines of blather, telling me nothing other than it found the sis module, recognized the chipset, and generated a bunch of modelines using it, then found a vesa driver as well. If there's a way to tell which is being used other the xorg.conf I don't know it

What driver is actually loaded:

grep LoadModule /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Attached. Config asks for sis, it's loaded. I'm almost tempted to try vesa, it can't be any slower. :-(

I did, and I was right, using vesa is slightly faster and doesn't tie up the CPU. It still is slow, but not as slow, and may depend on other factors. Moving a terminal window or most popups now works at reasonable speed, although seamonkey is slow to move the window and leaves a trail behind, which the other windows I tried don't.

There's reference to sisfb in one of the things I read, but I don't seem to find that anywhere to try. So it looks as if the sis driver is just really slow, which it isn't on FC8.

Thanks for the inputs, unless someone has an idea of how to get back to the performance of FC8 I'll live with it, this isn't a game machine. Installing new graphics isn't a solution, it's a workaround (like using vesa). The problem is the FC7 and FC8 are acceptably fast on this hardware, FC9 isn't. Using vesa makes it tolerable, at least.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>