Battstat applet

Can anyone enlighten me on this one, I am probably just dumb and missed something critical ;-)

The gnome-panel package in fc9 doesn't have the battstat applet included (anymore). This is a rather critical applet for me so I can see in a blink of an eye how much time I have left on battery. I am not at all interested in automatic power management functions, it's purely the gui functionality.

So I checked the revision history of the package which has the following remark on battstat: "Removed." That I already noticed, but why? And what am I supposed to use as alternative? Otherwise I'd consider this a regression.

I also checked alternatives, and found only one, which is to install the advance-window-navigator, which has a battery status applet (although less informative). I don't think this is a real alternative because
 - lots and lots of errors and indeed errors and crashes
- requires compositing support including compositing window manager, which, in contrary to popular believe, doesn't work on many configurations (dual head for instance) and also makes various programs terribly slow (firefox...)
 - it cannot coexist with the gnome panel (on the bottom of the screen)
 - the awm panel is only shown at virtual screen #1

There seems to be no other packages that supply a battery status applet.

Anyone have a suggestion?