RE: Fedora 9 install troubles - big

I finally cracked the case and it gave me a "goddamn how could I have missed
this" feeling.

What happened: I booted from the DVD, checked device.map and grub.conf which
were 100% correct. So I went into the grub command prompt and issued "root"
which responded that root was set to fd0... Yet my first boot device is
/dev/sda (hd0) and I clearly said to the installer to put it on /dev/sda. So
I set root to hd0 and did "grub-install /dev/sda" and lo and behold, grub
now said loading stage 1.5. Hurray!

I cheered too early though cause then the dreaded Error 17 came up. So grub
couldn't find /dev/sdb1 where my /boot is. This started ringing a bell. Why
is grub looking on other partitions than /dev/sdb1?

So I dove into my bios to double check the boot sequence and uttered a very
loud "d'oh"!

Boot priority was set to:

/sda
/sdc
/sdb

So grub was looking for /boot on my Vista disk as it sees the 3rd hard disk
as hd1 instead of hd2. Changed the boot order and everything works fine now.

Can't believe I spent over a week to figure that out.

Many thanks to all the people who helped me get this sorted!

Regards,

Wim