Re: Troubles getting F9 : SOLVED

Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
On Mon, 19 May 2008 17:04:33 +0000, Beartooth wrote:

I've downloaded the F9 DVD twice so far (with more downloads running on
two machines, one using gwget, one bittorrent), once with Opera and once
with I disremember what.
[...]
	Either I'm doing something wrong with woeful consistency -- or
[...] Any guesses what I could be fouling up?

I'm now on the T30 laptop that couldn't even see my disks yesterday -- running F9.

Woo HOO!

The secret, with heartfelt thanks to Rick Stevens, seems to have been one little detail I barely thought to mention. If you're using a USB external DVD drive, make sure at every step that it's plugged directly into the machine it's currently working with, not through any sort of hub, switch, or what have you.

I had VERY little to do with it, but you're welcome. :-)

Heeding that, I burned a fresh copy of the gwget download (which had passed all sha1sum tests); moved the drive to the laptop; and rebooted (making sure, of course, it was what the laptop would boot from).

The same drive, containing the same disk, is now plugged into the oldest PC (the ASUS) -- and is happily upgrading that.

Well done, kemosabe!  Glad you got it going.