Re: Troubles getting F9

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:46:21 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:

> Wait, wait.  The ISO image is on /dev/fd/0?  That's your stdin.  That
> makes no sense to me.  I'd be leery of such a thing.
>
> Use something like ktorrent or transmission to pick up the torrent and
> tell it to save the stuff to some working directory (by default,
> transmission will download to your home directory).  Then run sha1sum
> against the .iso file(s):
>
> 	$ cd /path/where/you/downloaded/things/to $ sha1sum
> 	Fedora-9-x86_64-DVD.iso
>
> Compare the number(s) you get against that in the SHA1SUM file in the
> same directory as the .iso image(s).  The sha1sums should be:
>
> 	50253a35b5ba128c9a57b2a10cbd829813fc5119 (32-bit DVD)
> 	f92576227484a4eeda0e86a497836c67c34d20ef (64-bit DVD)

	OK, remember we were talking about two different downloads --
it's four now. (I plan to abandon the first two if either #3 or #4 works.)

	On my #2 machine, where I have #3 download (done with gwget), I
have just compared the calculated sha1sum with the 32-bit one above. They
match.

> Once you have the .iso file(s) and verified the sha1sums, now you can
> futz with things.  Simply use the command I mentioned above.

	I think you mean growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=/path/to/.iso
-- but that's the one too dense (in the mathematical sense) for me; I
don't know how to interpret what comes after Z. (I assume I just copy to
there.)

> Once you've burned the images to DVD, you can delete the .iso files.  >
It's nice to have them around until you know you have good DVDs to work
with.

	Yes, I understand that part -- though I'm actually using mostly
DVD-RW tiill I get a good one.

>> 	Fwiw, the Lite-On is an external DVD drive; it's plugged, not
>> into the computer directly, but into one of the ports on my MiniView G-
>> CSIO4U USB KVM switch -- as it has been for some time. Any chance
>> plugging it directly into the computer would help??
>
> It sure couldn't hurt.  I don't trust USB hubs or switches or long
> cables for media I'm trying to burn where you only get one shot.  For
> normal R/W stuff (e.g. a USB-interfaced hard drive) it's OK (even if the
> I/O is often slower), but you only get to try to burn that DVD once. If
> there's a buffer underrun or something, you've got a nice coaster but
> not a usable disc.

	I'll do that in a minute. Meanwhile, fwiw, machine #1 finished a
bittorrent download. I burned it, and checked it, with Brasero. But the
laptop can't boot from it, either in its own drive or in the external.
<sigh>

	OK, the external drive is now plugged directly into this machine
(#2 machine, which has only a read-only drive of its own)), with a DVD-RW
disk. I'll let K3B finish calculating its md5 sum, then try to burn with
that. Stay tuned.
                                                        - -
> You possess a mind not merely twisted, but actually sprained.    -

	Hey, I *like* that!

Fedora 8; Alpine 1.10, Pan 0.132; Privoxy 3.0.6;
Dillo 0.8.6, Galeon 2.0.3, Epiphany 2.20, Opera 9.27, Firefox 2.0