Re: F9 and Vmware : a working solution (kernel-2.6.25.3-18.fc9

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 20:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 02:01 +0200, Andras Simon wrote:
> > On 5/19/08, Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > now i seem to have lost the use of my shift key. it works within the
> > > windows vm but not in linux. aaaaaaaarrrrrgggggghhhhhh. i'd put a smiley
> > > here but i can't type it ...
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > xmodmap can probably heal your broken Shift key.
>
> It's both Shift and Control, which is a bummer. I tried saving a fresh,
> correct xmodmap ('xmodmap -pke > file'), then restoring it after exiting
> VMware. It didn't work. I had to completely log out and in again to get
> my proper keyboard back.
>
> I'll check around to see if this has been reported.

It has: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/104635?tstart=0&start=15

To sum up, lots of people are having this issue across several distros
(Fedora, Ubuntu, Gentoo) and several VMware products (server and
worstation in different versions including 6.5beta). The common element
seems to be X 7.3. Going into fullscreen mode in VMware (or in some case
just hitting the Ctrl-Alt combo) triggers the problem and the only
solution short of restarting X is to futz around with setxkbmap.

It's clearly a VMware bug so let's hope they fix it.

poc