Re: FC2 -> F7 via yum

On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 19:37 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Trever L. Adams wrote:
> > I am half way around the world from a not-for-profit organizations
> > server which I help maintain. For too many reasons to list, we could not
> > install from media and had to do an upgrade via yum. Everything is
> > working fine, except, the system was using Lilo and now uses Grub.
> > Additionally, the drive renaming of everything (ATA and SCSI) to sd$
> > leaves us without being able to reboot.
> >
> > The drive setup follows (FC2):
> > /dev/hda3             /
> > /dev/hda1                /boot
> > /dev/hdc1             /extra
> > /dev/sdb1            /AAA
> > /dev/sda1             /BBB
> >
> > It appears that ATA is initialized before the SCSI on this system
> > (2.6.12). Therefore, I think the mapping would be:
> >
> > hda - > sda
> > hdb (cdrom?) - > sdb
> > hdc -> sdc
> > sda -> sdd
> > sdb -> sde
> >
> > Is this accurate? Is there a way to use labels so I can be certain grub
> > and fstab are correct?
> >

> > Thank you for any help.
> >
> > Trever Adams
> >
> > P.S. Am I even having to do this, does 2.6.23 (in F7) have this
> > remapping requirement? It has been a while since I used it locally.
> >

> Grub uses the BIOS mapping, so the BIOS boot drive will be hd0 for
> Grub. As far as the drive mapping, the CD-ROM will not have show up
> as a SCSI hard drive. It will show up as a SCSI CD-ROM drive. (scd0)
>
> You can use partition labels in /etc/fstab, and in the kernel
> command lines in grub.conf, but Grub itself does not understand them.
>
> LABEL=/boot   /boot   ext3    defaults 1 2
----
I would also mention that you don't have to list CD-ROM drives
in /etc/fstab because they would likely automatically mount discs in
user space but on a remote headless system, user space is likely not
useful. Fedora hasn't set up CD/DVD drives in /etc/fstab by default for
several versions now.

As long as you get /dev/sda1 (/boot) and /dev/sda3 (/) working on
reboot, the rest is fixable after booting.

Craig