Re: Importing address book and mail in Thunderbird

max bianco wrote:
On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mauriat M wrote:

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Jim <mickeyboa@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I did a clean install of FC8 on PC which had FC6 before, I saved the old
.thunderbird folder from FC6.
 How do I use the "Import" tool in thunderbird, FC8 to import the old
FC6
thunderbird  mail ,  address book ?
 I physically moved the old address book into the FC8 thunderbird and it
wouldn't accept that.

What I would recommend is to first quit TB, remove the new F8-TB
profile you have created and copy the F6-TB profile into your home
directory.
Once TB starts up it should automatically convert/update the necessary
data from the old profile and use that information.

I've been using the same TB profile since RH9 (Thunderbird 0.1a). Each
time I upgraded I left the old profile and it got update with each new
version of Thunderbird. Of course I backed up with every new Fedora
release but I've never had a major problem. On occasion I had to tweak
some settings.

-Mauriat

 I agree with you on that, if I do it that way I get a ERROR message in FC8
about "Security" issues, in Firefox and Thunderbird.

What does the error message say exactly? Look thru your logs and see
if anything about thunderbird or firefox is mentioned. Don't forget to
check SELinux logs too.

Max

It was talking about Security and I didn't have write privileges .
I had to go into .thunderbird and change to write privileges for the owner.
What I don't understand is when I burnt the ~/user directory in FC6 as user to a DVD why did it change the privileges to read only in the files ?