Re: Advice Please: Fedora 9, Amd Phenom 9600, Nvidia GeForce 8400 & Virtualization.

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 11:39 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 18:39 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> > Also, I think that his main reason for [also] running Windows is multi
> > media. If Linux hiccups on any multi media content, he does not have
> > the time to search/install etc, simply flip into Windows and do it
> > there.
>
> To be blunt, I found multi-media support better with Linux.  Neither
> supports everything out-of-the box, both require installation of other
> things.  But once you've done that, things "just play".  With Linux, I
> could play almost anything with the same program, didn't have to buy
> anything to play someone else's files, don't have to worry about media
> players executing trojans in media.
>
> There probably are things that work better on Windows, I'm sure
> digital-rights-managed media is probably easier.  But I don't play with
> such stuff.  And I've come across plenty of things that I just couldn't
> manage to get Windows to play, so it's certainly no panacea.

However the host machine has a GeForce 8400 graphics card, which is
fairly high-end. If the user wants to exploit that in some Windows app,
say a 3-D game, then the virtualization environments are going to let
him down as they generally only emulate more modest graphics hardware.

If this is an issue, he should consider Windows as the host, or a
dual-boot setup.

poc