Re: Aloowing access to specific samba users

Bob Latham wrote:

Anyway, I have added the user to the share but of course windows still
refuses to have anything to do with it. I'm guessing but windows doesn't
ask for a user name and password as I would expect (error: The account is
not authorized to log in from this station) so I think that linux is using
the password the PC user is logged on to the PC with which is not what I
want at all. How do you make it ask for a user name and password? Bah.
Exasperation!
I've only being trying just over a week to share a folder with a user name
and password so that any windows user that knows the password can access
the share. A 30 second job on W98 its like climbing Everest on Linux.

A couple of things - first, with Win98 you are normally using share rather then user security when you share a directory on that machine. Also, because Windows and Linux uses different password encryption, you have to give Samba users a password in addition to the standard Linux password. They can be the same, and it can be set up so that they are kept in sync once created.

If you want to use the Linux passwords directly, you have to tell Windows to yous unencrypted passwords. This is somewhat of a security risk. This is covered in the Samba documentation.

Mikkel