Re: Aloowing access to specific samba users

In article <48220162.5040904@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Mike Evans <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Bob Latham wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've got a bit stuck with Samba shares but I'll bet that's a common
> > problem. In System=>Administration=>Samba on the Access tab there
> > appears to be the option to "only allow access to specific users".
> >
> > Is there an obvious reason why I can't seem to add a user at this
> > point?

> Bob:

> Yes - I hit this too.  With Samba you have to create Samba Users.  These
> may be the same as your linux users - but not necessarily so.  If you
> are using that System/Admin/Samba GUI there is a separate bit under the
> preferences tab for doing that.  Once you have created them you can
> check them in the "allow access to..." bit.

Thanks Mike,

Given that a try and yes I can now add that user. Thanks.

A lot I don't understand though like why the Unix user name has to be
chosen from a pre set list of seemingly quite odd names that you can't add
to.

Anyway, I have added the user to the share but of course windows still
refuses to have anything to do with it. I'm guessing but windows doesn't
ask for a user name and password as I would expect (error: The account is
not authorized to log in from this station) so I think that linux is using
the password the PC user is logged on to the PC with which is not what I
want at all. How do you make it ask for a user name and password? Bah.
Exasperation!

I've only being trying just over a week to share a folder with a user name
and password so that any windows user that knows the password can access
the share. A 30 second job on W98 its like climbing Everest on Linux.

Thanks again Mike, sorry if my frustration is showing too much.

Cheers,

Bob.