Re: Liberation Fonts & Font-Mapping 101

On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 07:55 -0400, Jorge Fábregas wrote:

> I'm once again fighting with fonts in Firefox and I'm using the  "Font finder"
> add-on to see what font is being requested for any section of a page.  I
> noticed that there are quite a lot of pages requesting the "calibri" typeface
> (which is the default for Office 2007).  When I go to my terminal window and
> type:
>
> fc-match calibri
>
> I get: DejaVuSans.ttf: "DejaVu Sans" "Book"
>
> What file do I need to edit in order to change this mapping to "Liberation
> Sans"?  I did a search (search within files) recursively in the /etc/font/
> directory but couldn't find the word "calibri"...so I'm guessing "Dejavu
> Sans" is the default typeface I get when there is no mapping for it. I just
> did:  fc-match whatever and indeed I got "Dejavu Sans".  So...how do I create
> this mapping "when requesting "calibri" use ------------>  "Liberation Sans"?

You might try Googling font "substitution," "mapping" tends to get used
for a different purpose (e.g. the placement of characters within the
font table).

If you look in "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" you should be able to see how
they've set up aliasing for mono and sans-serif fonts, and you should be
able to do something similar for specfic fonts (i.e. provide a list of
fonts to be treated as requests to use your preferred font).  You might
want to include the generic sans-serif name in that list.

Also pay attention to the note, in that file, about using local.conf for
your own font customisations, instead of modifying fonts.conf.  Create
the file if it doesn't already exist.

I've got to go through this sort of thing, myself.  But haven't got
organised yet.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.