Re: ****Re: openldap + kmail

Craig White wrote:

> The whole point is that an LDAP client is an LDAP client and it makes no
> difference whether you use Kaddressbook, evolution or the ldapsearch
> command line interface to access your LDAP server.

My main complaint about KAddressBook + LDAP is that the LDIF file
created by KAddressBook from an existing address book
is completely unusable as is.
Most of the attributes it uses are not defined
in the objectClass (organizationalPerson) it specifies,
and I doubt if there is any LDAP server
that will accept the DN values it produces.

It really is unforgivably bad.
For example, if you have an address with more than 1 line,
the first line is given as the value of "homepostaladdress"
while the second line is taken as "mozillahomepostaladdress2"
and the third line as "mozillahomecountryname".

As there is a complete lack of documentation on this point,
it is natural to assume that KAddressBook requires an LDAP directory
along the lines of the one it produces.
In fact, as you suggest, it seems to accept any reasonable LDAP directory.