Re: ****Re: ****Re: openldap + kmail

Craig White wrote:

>> What I am complaining about in this case (I have many complaints ...)
>> is the LDAP Lookup page in KAddressBook/KMail .
>> You are asked to give the DN,
>> but what is actually wanted is the first part of the DN, not the DN
>> proper. But it is quite possible that I misunderstand what is meant by
>> DN. I assume that it means the unique identifier in each LDAP entry,
>> in which case it is inaccurate to describe the first part of this
>> ("Address Book" in my case) as the "DN".
> ----
> no - you will find this fully explained at the start of the LDAP book.
>
> DN is the full, unique 'Distinguished Name'
> RDN is the portion you are thinking of (ie 'cn=craig')
>
> Kaddressbook apparently is accurate in their description but your
> knowledge is lacking.

It doesn't really matter, but I don't understand your response.
KAddressBook=>LDAP Lookup asks you for your "DN", not your "RDN".
If they had asked me for my RDN I would have looked that up
and given the correct reply.
As it was I gave the DN as defined by you above,
and was told there was a "DN Syntax Error".
When I gave the RDN it worked.