Re: ****Re: ****Re: openldap + kmail

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 13:08 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> >> I found in the end that what was wanted here
> >> was the first part of the DN, in my case "DN: Address Book".
> >> After giving that, I was able to access my LDAP address book
> >> from KMail.
>
> > What you are calling a lack of documentation suggests that you expect
> > all the various LDAP client programs to tell you how LDAP works.
>
> I don't think that's fair.
> What I am complaining about in this case (I have many complaints ...)
> is the LDAP Lookup page in KAddressBook/KMail .
> You are asked to give the DN,
> but what is actually wanted is the first part of the DN, not the DN proper.
> But it is quite possible that I misunderstand what is meant by DN.
> I assume that it means the unique identifier in each LDAP entry,
> in which case it is inaccurate to describe the first part of this
> ("Address Book" in my case) as the "DN".
----
no - you will find this fully explained at the start of the LDAP book.

DN is the full, unique 'Distinguished Name'
RDN is the portion you are thinking of (ie 'cn=craig')

Kaddressbook apparently is accurate in their description but your
knowledge is lacking.

If your setup uses a 'base' of dc=xyz,dc=com and your search is a 'sub'
search, then a search for 'cn=craig' would return dn's such as...

cn=craig,ou=AddressBook,dc=xyz,dc=com
cn=craig,ou=People,dc=xyz,dc=com

Craig