Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Andrew Kelly wrote:
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 16:56 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Francis Earl wrote:
On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 07:58 +0930, Tim wrote:
Tim:
A big company taking the moral stand versus a handful of users taking an
opposite moral stand.  Guess which one wins?
Francis Earl:
I don't see how setting up livna, or complaining about the contents
therein not being in Fedora is a moral stand? It's just lazy and/or
ignorant.
Do I really need to spell it out?  In the red corner we have a company
that has taken a stand on what they will and won't do.  In the blue
corner we have a user that has taken a stand that if the system doesn't
do what they think it should do, to hell with them...

Both sides are posturing about principles, but he's no David, and
Goliath isn't disturbed.
Using that analogy, Ubuntu is Davids stone... throw away.

People that use Fedora believe in its philosophies, if they're not for
you, there are around 300 more distros to pick and choose from.

Having that many distros should be proof enough that one size doesn't
fit all.

Given the breadth of choices available to the Linux user, why should
RedHat cave to those that believe playing an MP3 out of the box is worth
risking their company over?

Fedora has never been intended for your Grandparents, it is intended for
people that wish to play with the latest and greatest Linux has to
offer.

Grandparents != casual users

Amen.

There's more than a couple of us here with grandchildren, certifications
and full-time employment administering Linux systems.

Andy

And not only am I a grandparent also, my dad (83 this year) runs F7 on his Dell laptop and on his aging white box.

He sometimes 'forgets' things, but he gets along just fine. Its been nearly 4 years now.

I tried to switch my father-in-law to Linux about 6 years ago (he is 84 now), but the 'kid' he depended upon for hardware support forced him to go back to windows. He often remarks about those 6 months when he was virus free. :)

As for myself, I have been in IT my entire career and never had to deal with windows on my desktop at work. I am quite happy with Fedora now days, but it used to be UNIX for me. DEC, SUN, and SGI workstations mostly.

System admin for 25 plus years, and I will retire sometime in the next 10 years or so and will have never had to deal with windows at work.

For me, Fedora is the obvious choice. There is no comparison to anaconda and kickstart in any other distro. Part of what I do entails installing test equipment (over and over again) and devising methods for remote hands free installs and upgrades.

I got spoiled with Jumpstart on Solaris (well over 1,500 installs), and to date, anaconda/kickstart offers as much flexibility as Jumpstart ever did.

Have Fun!