Re: f8: PC dies while using firefox

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 10:04 -0600, Phil Meyer wrote:
> I built a machine about a year ago that started having these same
> problems about 4 months ago.  I then changed it back to the nv video
> driver (6150 on-board), but the problems persist.
>
> The user is very non expert and has difficulty explaining the
> symptoms.
> Last week we ran lots of diagnostics with no errors.  memtest ran for
> 30
> hours without an error.
>
> Sitting in front of the system for hours, and performing a complete
> update (F7)  demonstrates a good machine.  However, 30 minutes after
> leaving, the user calls to report another hard lock up.
>
> The user is getting frustrated, and it sure looks to me like a
> hardware
> issue, but the only common denominator in their usage habits is
> Firefox.

At first, I also thought it was a hardware issue. I checked:

- Bios settings (tried enabling/disabling some stuff)
- HDD (ran smart tests and xfs_check, xfs_repairs on all of them)
- Graphics card (tried different drivers)

As long as I don't use firefox, everything is well. I'll try, for a
period, to use opera or something else... , and leave my PC on.
--
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Woralelandia