Re: f8: PC dies while using firefox

Alan Cox wrote:
On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:04:57 -0500
Renich Bon Ciric <renich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I've been experiencing, lately, some total freezes. The computer just
dies:
- The mouse won't respond.
- The keyboard won't respond.
- X can't be restarted

Are they keyboard lights flashing ?
Are you using the Nvidia drivers ?

I built a machine about a year ago that started having these same problems about 4 months ago. I then changed it back to the nv video driver (6150 on-board), but the problems persist.

The user is very non expert and has difficulty explaining the symptoms.
Last week we ran lots of diagnostics with no errors. memtest ran for 30 hours without an error.

Sitting in front of the system for hours, and performing a complete update (F7) demonstrates a good machine. However, 30 minutes after leaving, the user calls to report another hard lock up.

The user is getting frustrated, and it sure looks to me like a hardware issue, but the only common denominator in their usage habits is Firefox.