Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 12:06 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 22:11 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > Programmers haven't seen the need for control-key commands since
> > keyboards started including an alt key and a bunch of function keys and
> > everything has a mouse.
>
> I think his point was that all require that "\you remove your hands from
> the home row due to the means by which they are called."
>
> I used Wordstar for quite awhile during my cp/m days, and still miss
> it.

But how about control-c and control-v, and if the need is not present,
why are there speed key equivalents for the mouse commands in every
Microsoft application?  When the ALT key was started, what was it for?
AS I recall, it was to access an alternate font, for symbols and so
forth, but then it got used for other purposes.  Then we acquired yet
another key, the Windows key, similar to the apple keyboard.  Now we
have 47 main keys, along with control, alt and windows, and some
software even distinguishes between left and right of each alt, control
and windows, along with left and right shift, so you now have the
equivalent of 47*3*4= 564 (unshifted, shift right, shift left, along
with no, alt, windows, and control) key combinations in the lexicon,
should you choose to implement all the calls.  And if you add the
function, number pad, locks, and system control keys there are even more
possible combinations available.  Should you choose to get even more
exotic, you can add mouse gestures to these shift and operations keys
along with 5 button mouse, and chords to achieve a littany that is
beyond geekdom.

	Yet for editing purposes, Wordstar offered the essential functionality
without all these buttons, mousing around, and arbitrary sequencing with
relatively simple command sequences, including a full menu callable from
the home row as well.  If you mastered Wordstar, all other editors were
clunky, awkward and slow.

Regards,
Les H