Re: Why Restart & Shutdown Buttons on login screen

On Sunday 27 April 2008 03:50:15 Bill Davidsen wrote:
> "Rahul Tidke" wrote:
> > Hello All,
> >   I wonder about these buttons on gnome desktop; do we really need these
> > buttons on login screen? Reboot and shutdown allowed before login for any
> > user??
>
> The machines are configured for use by normal users. That means that
> many are used by people who should not have privilege on the machine. As
> someone said, with energy costs high, downtime is desirable for most users.
>
> In most cases people with access to the console have access to the
> machine, and can get it to power down in some way other than a normal
> shutdown. Therefore we make it moderately easy for people to do the
> right thing, certain that people who have some need to have the machine
> on all the time will take a moment and locate the configuration which
> allows you to take those options off the board.
>
> The default behavior is what is useful to most people. That's desirable.

One situation I haven't seen mentioned is when the login screen refuses to
accept keyboard input.  On the box running rawhide I saw this frequently when
Mandriva 2007 was installed and I've seen it once under rawhide.  Using the
mouse + menu on the login screen got a clean re-start of X which cured the
problem.  What would I have done without it?

Anne