Re: Why Restart & Shutdown Buttons on login screen

"Rahul Tidke" wrote:
Hello All,
  I wonder about these buttons on gnome desktop; do we really need these
buttons on login screen? Reboot and shutdown allowed before login for any
user??

The machines are configured for use by normal users. That means that many are used by people who should not have privilege on the machine. As someone said, with energy costs high, downtime is desirable for most users.

In most cases people with access to the console have access to the machine, and can get it to power down in some way other than a normal shutdown. Therefore we make it moderately easy for people to do the right thing, certain that people who have some need to have the machine on all the time will take a moment and locate the configuration which allows you to take those options off the board.

The default behavior is what is useful to most people. That's desirable.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>