Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Craig White wrote:

It was never part of the kernel - just a victim of the ever-changing
Linux interfaces. There were eventually patches to fix it, but fedora never bothered to pick them up or even add openvpn which would have been a usable replacement.
----
been so long that I have forgotten the reason but I know that it was
simultaneous to migration to 2.6 kernel that occurred with FC2.

anyway...openvpn is indeed available...

I guess I gave up looking for it after only a few years...
---
the impatience of youth...

Remote offices have this thing about not liking to be down for years.

As someone who used cipe way back when, I found it rather trivial to
build openvpn from source and install it so I wasn't much put out
anyway. Then of course, simultaneous with 2.6 kernels, we got openswan
support.

That's fine for 'your' box. What do you do about the rest of the mesh? There's one under a desk somewhere in Switzerland that's still routing through one of my RH 7.3 systems. The guy who drove over from London to build it no longer works for the company. And IPsec is difficult or impossible to run through NAT which we have at both ends.

Sometimes I think you just bitch for the sake of bitching.

In this case I brought it up as the counterpoint to someone who said that proprietary software could be abandoned and leave you hanging. That's not unique to proprietary software, and even if it were it's not an OS distribution's business to protect you from it other than by making it easy to use alternatives. Likewise, I'll bring up linux firewire support compared the Mac's anytime someone tries to say that proprietary drivers are always bad. It's not about bitching so much as a reality check for other people's lies supporting their own agendas.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx