Re: DI-LB604 load balancing router and /etc/resolv.conf

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008 08:55:18 +0100
Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I couldn't get load balancing to work initially and asked for help
> from Draytek support, they advised that I needed to specify the
> nameservers in the router.  What they suggested was to put two
> nameservers into the router, using your notation, nameserver 1.1.1.1 and
> nameserver 3.3.3.3.  Then, in addition, I had to set another option
> that forced all traffic to 1.1.1.1 through WAN1 and all traffic to
> 3.3.3.3 through WAN2.  It now works and I get load balancing between
> the two ADSL connections.

After further experimenting, I too have discovered that this seems to work
best.  In the "protocol and port binding" configuration screen, I directed UDP
and TCP port 53 to WAN1 for 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2, and WAN2 for 3.3.3.3 and
4.4.4.4

Now this outfit rattles right along.  Before I did the above step (just an hour
or so ago) when you went to a new web page you had to wait a second before it
started to load.  Now, that momentary wait seems to be gone.  Click - boom.
Here's your web page.  I think I was getting some kind of dns timeouts before
if I sent a dns request to a nameserver from the wrong IP address.  DNS
requests, too, seem to alternate.

I logged into my webserver and watched the log file while I loaded my website
and found that things are indeed doing what they should.  Every alternate
graphic (approximately) was downloaded by each IP address.  graphic 1 by address
1, graphic 2 by address 2, graphic 3 by address 1 again, and so on.

Now I can see that things are definitely going faster than they were when I was
using just one Internet connection.  In fact, it's damned impressive.

> I doubt it matters much what you put in /etc/resolv.conf after the
> first two nameservers, if it's using the third something is probably
> rather amiss anyway.

You're probably right.  My current resolv.conf seems to be doing the job -- at
least, it's running a damn sight faster than it ever has before.  If this is
broken, then I'd like to break a few more.

> In fact I think the best way is probably to get the router to act as
> your local nameserver (mine can do that though I haven't actually
> tried to set it up this way yet).  Then all PCs on the LAN just have
> the router's IP as their name server and you can choose what
> nameservers everyone uses by changing what the router uses.

As far as I can tell, this router doesn't do that.  At least, I haven't
discovered anything that suggests that it can, so far.  There are a ton of
configuration screens here, though, so I could easily have missed it.

I wonder if there would be any benefit to running a caching nameserver on this
computer.  What's the current "best way" to get one of those running on Fedora
8?  That's another thing that I've never tried and perhaps it's worth giving
that a shot too while I'm at it.

Ultimately, if any of you folks reading this want to give your Internet access
a real kick in the rear end, get two connections and a load balancing router.
You don't know what you're missing until you've tried this stunt out.