Re: DI-LB604 load balancing router and /etc/resolv.conf

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:36:54PM -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I now have my load balancing router up and running on two modems, one cable
> modem and one DSL.   So far, it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be
> doing.
>
> (For folks who remember my earlier questions regarding this matter, I did try
> to order that Xincom router but after much fiddling about was eventually told
> that it is out of stock.  However, this Dlink DI-LB604 is supposed to do the
> same thing.  It was also $30 cheaper.)
>
> I have a question about /etc/resolv.conf in relation to this setup.
>
> Each of my two ISPs have two nameservers for customer use.  For the sake of
> demonstration, let's say that ISP A has nameserver 1.1.1.1 and 2.2.2.2 while
> ISP B has nameservers 3.3.3.3 and 4.4.4.4
>
> Now, the name of my internal network is melvilletheatre.net.
>
> My /etc/resolv.conf from when I was using only one single ISP and a regular
> (single WAN) router was as follows:
>
> search melvilletheatre.net
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
> nameserver 2.2.2.2
>
> When I set up this dual router, I changed /etc/resolv.conf to this:
>
> search melvilletheatre.net
> nameserver 1.1.1.1
> nameserver 3.3.3.3
> nameserver 2.2.2.2
> nameserver 4.4.4.4
>
> This seems to be working at the moment, but I know of at least one problem.
> "man resolv.conf" tells me that there can be a maximum of three nameserver
> entries so I assume that the 4.4.4.4 entry is being ignored.
>
> My question is, is there a better way to set this up?  In addition to load
> balancing this router also does failover, so if one of my connections goes down
> things are supposed to keep chugging along anyway using the other connection.
> It seems like this would be another factor in properly
> configuring /etc/resolv.conf because as it is now if ISP A drops then I think I
> have only one working nameserver entry left in /etc/resolv.conf at that time.

Interesting, I have a load balancing router too (a Draytek Vigor
2820n) with a similar set up.  WAN1 is the 2820n's own ADSL
connection, WAN2 is an ethernet connection to another ADSL router
which uses a different phone line.

I couldn't get load balancing to work initially and asked for help
from Draytek support, they advised that I needed to specify the
nameservers in the router.  What they suggested was to put two
nameservers into the router, using your notation, nameserver 1.1.1.1 and
nameserver 3.3.3.3.  Then, in addition, I had to set another option
that forced all traffic to 1.1.1.1 through WAN1 and all traffic to
3.3.3.3 through WAN2.  It now works and I get load balancing between
the two ADSL connections.

I doubt it matters much what you put in /etc/resolv.conf after the
first two nameservers, if it's using the third something is probably
rather amiss anyway.

In fact I think the best way is probably to get the router to act as
your local nameserver (mine can do that though I haven't actually
tried to set it up this way yet).  Then all PCs on the LAN just have
the router's IP as their name server and you can choose what
nameservers everyone uses by changing what the router uses.

--
Chris Green