Re: Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Francis Earl wrote:

It is redistributable or Ubuntu couldn't have it either. And it could be trivial to add even if it wasn't included. It isn't.

Sun and Ubuntu agreed that to distribute it, the user would be presented
with terms to agree on. Red Hat decided this was unacceptable. Red Hat
is one of the leading reasons Sun opened Java as they employ many of the
Classpath guys - and it was nearly a feature complete replacement for
Sun's Java.

If Red Hat had caved like Ubuntu did, Sun never would have opened Java,
they were firmly against it for something like 8 years (see IBM's open
letter on the topic.

You say that as though you think IBM or Red Hat can teach Sun something about giving away code. Sun being the largest single open source contributor... (3x IBM, 5x RH, http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/ict/policy/doc/2006-11-20-flossimpact.pdf, pg. 51 - and that was before opensolaris, zfs, or the jdk). Perhaps you imagine the tail is wagging the dog here.

Or that you think letting anyone modify the code will improve it in some reasonable amount of time. I expect to see a repeat of the GPL flavors of NFS that took about a decade to become usable. If other people could do better than Sun with the code we'd have had an open version that works already.

A matter of opinion and speculation so far - or just plain FUD... I'd like to see this shaken out so if it really is illegal to use Linux with software of your choice everyone can just move on.

No, it is neither opinion nor speculation.

Until someone proves that device driver code is derived from one of the OS's it can be used with and is not fair use of an interface it is all speculation.

> Nvidia gets away with it
because they do not distribute the driver as part of the kernel. The
kernel developers are looking for ways to ensure this is harder in the
future so that people don't jump through such loopholes.

I really have to wonder why even a small percent of OS users choose something that goes out of its way to make things harder for them.

> I doubt they
would do that though until there are open source alternatives that are
good enough. It would simply effect too many users.

Wait - did you say someone cares about users?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx