Re: 2 IPs on one nic

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
Patrick Derwael wrote:
Hi list

Can someone tell me how to add a 2^nd IP adress to a nic and ensure that 2^nd IP is kept after a reboot

Tried ifconfig eth0 add aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, but the IP is dropped after reboot

Any idea ??

Thanks !

I am not sure what you are trying to do, but maybe this will help:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name> and
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-<interface-name>:<alias-name>:

  The first defines an interface, and the second contains
  only the parts of the definition that are different in a
  "alias" (or alternative) interface.  For example, the
  network numbers might be different, but everything else
  might be the same, so only the network numbers would be
  in the alias file, but all the device information would
  be in the base ifcfg file.

This is from /usr/share/doc/initscripts-8.60/sysconfig.txt

Mikkel

I assume its like creating a sub-interface(i think that's what its called) on a cisco router. I have limited experience with cisco stuff, maybe someone will chime in and fill in the blanks. Anyway its not hard to actually do it on a "real" router, just a handful of terminal commands is all it takes. Now if I could just remember them all, the command completion on a cisco router is pretty effective though.

Max