Re: Samsung printer woes

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 18:39 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> Right now I'm going to have rant:
>
> I'm seriously pissed off at this SELinux. As near as I can see it does
> bugger all, but when it stuffs up or gets in the way it does a right
> royal job of it!
>
> Now that thats out of the way, I installed the drivers and software
> nicely supplied by Samsung (unified linux drivers for mfp) which can
> only be installed by root. Root can't print- and is stopped by
> SELinux, and users can't print because the cups setup is root.
> Shouldn't this be simpler? Any thoughts on what I can do here?

Well, I don't have a Samsung printer, but I can say that printing does
work with other printers.  SELinux stopping something from working
points the finger squarely at that thing (those particular drivers) for
doing something that they shouldn't be doing.  Whether that be design
flaw, or a fault with how you've tried to install them.

You haven't posted the error messages from SELinux.  You haven't said
precisely what drivers you've installed, nor where from.  Nor how you
installed them.

SELinux has had its faults, but it's generally software doing things it
shouldn't that is the real problem.  Do you really want software that
does stupid things, or software that's written properly?

Given that bad software becomes a real showstopper with SELinux is does
force the software to get fixed up, more than other influences.

i.e. In the past, disgruntled users might report that software works in
a bad manner, and programmers may ignore it because the software does
still work.  Now it's the software works properly or it doesn't work,
and they're faced with having to fix it.  Telling victims to turn off
their protective software gets the drubbing it deserves.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.