Re: cdrdao Paranoia Issue

RGH wrote:

I'm not sure what has changed and where here, but I thought I'd post
this problem in case other people are experiencing it, or in case there
is a bug somewhere that needs fixing.

I make copies of a lot of my own CDs, for my own use. (Reason: They
sound better, but only if you make them at low speed, e.g., 1X.) I have
a script that does this for me, using cdrdao to read and write the CD.
On upgrading to Fedora 8 (x64), I found that this script stopped
working. The CDs got produced all right, but they had numerous errors
that led to nasty digital "clicking" when they were played.

After much trial and error, I found that the problem was the
paranoia-mode being used by cdrdao. When reading CDs with the default
paranoia-mode 3, I could never get two successive reads to give me the
same .bin file; and while I could do so at paranoia-mode 1, the CDs
would still have bad clicking. Only by setting paranoia-mode to 0 could
I get the results to which I've been accustomed.

So, well, now things do work, but I'm puzzled about what has changed.

I don't have a *solution*, but just for information does the cdda2wav program from cdrecord have the same problem? Note: you may have to get the real program, Fedora mislabels wodim as cdrecord, not making it obvious that it's a fork, not the real cdrecord project.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>