Re: Korn shell question

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 10:49 -0700, Don Russell wrote:
How can I tell, from a Korn shell script, if the script is running in
a vi sub-shell?

I have a script that has a problem when run from a vi subshell, and
I'd like to check for that condition and just issue an error message.
(I know that's not the solution to the problem, but the thing that
fails is being replaced, so this is a temporary "fix")

Try:

ls -l /proc/`cat /proc/$$/status|grep PPid|cut -f2`/exe

What on Earth are you doing here?
1) unless you have some reason to doubt the value of $PPID, you are just
   making this look complex
2) if this is a login shell, you will not have permission to read the
   exe symbolic link.
3) you probably just want to see if /proc/$PPIC/cmdline matches vi

and work from there.

poc

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>