Re: network gateway with a foreign IP address

Claude Jones wrote:
On Fri April 11 2008, Robert Locke wrote:
The file that probably makes the most sense to put the
entry in to is /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/route-eth0 (assuming this
is based on eth0). Â Instead of the article's use of "up", you want to
look at the syntax of the "ip" command: ip route add ....

Good luck, cause I think you're going to need it....

In revisiting this this am, I find that the above file doesn't exist, there is no route-eth0 in that directory

I appreciate the caveats expressed, but what I really need is some sound arguments for why this should not be configured this way -- "this _COULD_ be made to work but you'd be opening a big hole in your company's security in the following way..." or, "this could be made to work but it would occasion constant attention because of the following needs for tweaking the configuration..." I could use the help here, even leads towards reading more in depth material on the subject...

Is this simply an unconventional approach that can be made to work, or is there a fundamental flaw in the approach that can only lead to problems?

You may want to read /usr/share/doc/initscripts-<version>/sysconfig.txt - you will have to scroll down a bit before you get to the network section, but it explains the files, and the format for the route-eth0 file. (You will have to create your own, because it is not normally needed.)

Mikkel