Re: problems with dial-up

--- Michael Klinosky <mpk2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> A few months ago, I installed F8 and tried to set it up for
> dial-up. I
> couldn't get it to connect (perhaps there were some problems
> with the
> install).
>
> So, I re-installed F8 (formatted /, but left /home intact).
> I'm _still_
> have problems - and it seems to be the same issue.
>
> I had to modify wvdial.conf to get even this far (wvdial flat
> out
> refused to work with the default, as configged by Admin >
> Network).
>
> [Modem0]
> Modem = /dev/ttyS1
> Baud = 115200
> SetVolume = 4
> Dial Command = ATDT
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init3 = ATM1L4
> FlowControl = CRTSCTS
> [Dialer enternet]
> Area Code = ###
> Username = mpk2
> Password = ******
> Phone = #######
> Stupid Mode = 1
> Init1 = ATZ
> Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> Inherits = Modem0
>
> Here is output (bad characters removed):
>
> [root@localhost etc]# wvdial
> --> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
> --> Initializing modem.
> --> Sending: ATZ
> ATZ
> OK
> --> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
> OK
> --> Sending: ATM1L3
> ATM1L3
> OK
> --> Modem initialized.
> --> Sending: ATDT##########
> --> Waiting for carrier.
> ATDT##########
> CONNECT 115200
> --> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
> --> Starting pppd at Sat Mar 22 15:59:11 2008
> --> Pid of pppd: 3207
> --> Using interface ppp1
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> local  IP address 208.103.167.14
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> remote IP address 69.72.0.85
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> primary   DNS address 69.72.0.7
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
> --> secondary DNS address 209.163.108.78
> --> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
>
> That much probably looks good. BUT, I can't do anything!
> (Actually, it
> will ping, but no www access.)
>
> Network apparently has a problem with the setup - I activate
> the dialup
> config, and somehow it gets deactivated.
>
> What's going on?
>
> --

I don't know if the drivers have gotten better but when I used
dial-up internet access with Linux several years ago, I had to
get an external modem that I found in the Hardware Compatibility
List (US Robotics, I think) before I could connect. I spent many
hours trying to configure several Winmodems and never succeeded.
Once I switched to a modem that was documented as being Linux
compatible, it was easy.

Bruce