To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 8:59 PM
Subject: Re: problems with dial-up

--- Michael Klinosky <mpk2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A few months ago, I installed F8 and tried to set it up for
dial-up. I
couldn't get it to connect (perhaps there were some problems
with the
install).

So, I re-installed F8 (formatted /, but left /home intact).
I'm _still_
have problems - and it seems to be the same issue.

I had to modify wvdial.conf to get even this far (wvdial flat
out
refused to work with the default, as configged by Admin >
Network).

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/ttyS1
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 4
Dial Command = ATDT
Init1 = ATZ
Init3 = ATM1L4
FlowControl = CRTSCTS
[Dialer enternet]
Area Code = ###
Username = mpk2
Password = ******
Phone = #######
Stupid Mode = 1
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Inherits = Modem0

Here is output (bad characters removed):

[root@localhost etc]# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Sending: ATM1L3
ATM1L3
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT##########
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT##########
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected.  Starting PPP immediately.
--> Starting pppd at Sat Mar 22 15:59:11 2008
--> Pid of pppd: 3207
--> Using interface ppp1
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> local  IP address 208.103.167.14
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> remote IP address 69.72.0.85
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> primary   DNS address 69.72.0.7
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]
--> secondary DNS address 209.163.108.78
--> pppd: [08]ŧ[08][08]

That much probably looks good. BUT, I can't do anything!
(Actually, it
will ping, but no www access.)

Network apparently has a problem with the setup - I activate
the dialup
config, and somehow it gets deactivated.

What's going on?

I don't know if the drivers have gotten better but when I used
dial-up internet access with Linux several years ago, I had to
get an external modem that I found in the Hardware Compatibility
List (US Robotics, I think) before I could connect. I spent many
hours trying to configure several Winmodems and never succeeded.
Once I switched to a modem that was documented as being Linux
compatible, it was easy.

Bruce