Re: Punch cards

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 10:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-08 at 15:15 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I am not sure why it showed up under this subject but there appeared an
> > attack on digital vs analog TV.
>
> That would be my post.
>
> > I just bought an digital to analog converter for my TVs and there is
> > no comparison to the picture I get using only rabbit ears.
>
> If you're talking rabbit ears, I'm not surprised you see a difference.
> They're a rotten antenna system.  But I'd be very surprised if you don't
> see some other nasty problems with your digital reception (freezes,
> blocky picture breakups, etc.).  A bit of snow, even ghosting, is still
> bearable on analogue TV, but digital TV that breaks up and loses sound
> and picture once every 20 seconds (i.e. repeatedly) due to poor
> reception issues is unbearable.
>
> In my case, I have a proper external antenna aimed directly at the TV
> towers about 15 km away (belting out a few hundred KiloWatts), with no
> obstructions, and it's correctly wired.  I used to have near perfect
> reception, almost like I'd plugged the studio camera directly into my TV
> set.  I can't say the same for digital.
>
> Standard definition is poorer than analogue, even HD is pushing its luck
> (if you take into account that when you digitise something you need to
> sample at least three to four times the frequency that you're sampling).
> CCD video cameras are often worst than tube cameras, for that same
> reason (resolution issues down to the low number of pixels involved
> compared to a 700 line resolution camera).

Funny, I don't have a problem with digital- best thing since sliced
bread for me. In fact I have trouble with analogue because I use a tv
server- the adc doesn't work as efficiently, whereas digital is already
mpeg.

My biggest problem is HD where my video card has to resample the image-
it stops and starts a bit because my video card is not HD capable. My
tuner, hardware, and monitor can though... I'll update the card soon-
its an ATi Radeon 9250 with 128mb.