Re: Punch cards

On Mon, 2008-04-07 at 02:04 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> That test was pretty close to the SB in terms of rating a child's IQ.  We had
> several who took it the same year I did that went on to do some unusual
> things, and we topped the list, not in grades earned in school because most
> of us were bored silly by school but 4 of that class made scores in the
> middle 140's, with me at the top with 147.  Had I known then what an
> influence they would have, I would have quit doing electronics service and
> wiggled into that door somehow.  OTOH, electronics in general has been good
> to me.  I can't complain, and at 73, its too late to buy a new horse.

When I formally studied electronics it was in a technical college as a
teenager.  Most of the other students were older than me, there were at
least a couple I think had retired.  They weren't the only ones doing it
for their own interest's sake.  Later on, I only continued doing the
course for interest's sake - I was interested in engineering but was
conned into a servicing course, instead.

On the whole, I think things would have been better if I'd studied both
areas, they're not the same, but they do dovetail.  I see plenty of
equipment that's badly engineered, that someone who had to repair it
would have designed differently.  And plenty of repairs that were done
by someone who should have known a lot more about how to build things.

You're probably better of working in electronics.  I'm damn sure that I
am.  At least you know how things work, are supposed to work, and can
make them obey.  There's something very satisfying at seeing something
you fixed twenty years ago, still going strong.  I doubt we'd be able to
say the same sort of thing about computing, at least these days...
Integrity and reliability went out the window decades ago, so did
knowing how it works.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.