Re: What will happen? Linux software raid autodetecting on an old array...

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Apr 04, 2008 at 11:54:55PM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
I think it will pick one of each of the mdN devices and ignore the other. It won't eat data unless the mismatched disks have matching UUIDs which is unlikely unless you image-copied them or had synced with the other set in the past. If you want it to ignore the new set until you reconfigure it, fdisk the partition types to something other than FD so it won't autodetect at boot up.

Okay, thanks. Any suggestions on how to reconfigure it to use higher numbers
on the fly without losing data? I'd like the old md0/md1 to end up as
md2/md3.

If you have a place to hold a backup you can mount one of the underlying partitions and rsync it somewhere for safekeeping. I've always rebuilt from scratch when moving mirrors but I think you can use mdadm --assemble or --create to put them together. A safe approach might be to use --create to make the new device but only specify one of the partitions with the other as --missing. Then if the new md device still has the data, you can mdadm --add the other partition, if it has a problem you can mount the other partition and copy it over. Even these operations are slightly dangerous, though since a disk error on either partition will break things.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx