Re: nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
2008/3/25 Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxx>:
On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 07:14:15AM -0600, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
 > On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 6:49 PM, David Kramer <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 > >  Also, I got disgusted with the fights between livna and atrpms a long
 > >  time ago, and now I don't have a single livna package on my system.
 >
 > There in lies your problem. Always go with Livna.

 I wasn't aware of these fights [1], but obviously Arthur is one of the
 fighters. I think these fighters are the real problem.

I didn't mean "you suck" ... "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!" fighting, I meant dealing with changes in various packages and other conflicts in very different and incompatible ways, and even placing the blame (and thereby the party responsible for fixing the problem) in different places.

Arthur cited lame, and that was one that hit me, but as a MythTV user, there were some video-related packages that caused some conflicts. I'm sorry I can't remember the specific packages, but I think ffmpeg was involved.

Oh by all means no. I am not fighting anything. I consume several of
the Atrpms packages. However, the Livna and Atrpms packages are often
incompatible, while Livna and FreshRPMs etc package aren't. I would
love to see Atrpms become part of http://rpmfusion.org/ and be done
with these redundancies. Atrpms provides the best Mythtv package
(without which I would be at a big loss)

On another note, if someone needs me to come in with a leather strap
and beat all the third party repos into cooperation I will be happy to
do so.

Yeah verily. Honestly I was very confused by all this mess, because I coulda sworn I heard that one of the things that was supposed to change when Fedora Core got all growed up to Fedora 7 was that there would be One True Repo To Rule Them All, and all the third-party repos would be combined into it.

When I think of the reasons Linux hasn't taken over the desktop yet, poor package management and dependency tracking aren't at the top, but they're up there. I've got other dependency problems on my box too, like xine-lib-moles. Yes, it's probably something I did loading different packages from different repos, but it just shouldn't happen if the the package dependencies were all marked right.